Welcome to the Preparación Online information site.
This is the best place for the latest information on the project and how you can participate.
The 2014 Preparación Online In-Service Training for Secondary and Post-Secondary Spanish Teachers is starting soon!
DATES: September 8 – December 5, 2014
COST: $995 – A limited number of $750 Tuition Awards are available!
STRUCTURE: Self-paced in-service (with several deadlines throughout)
COMMITMENT: Approximately 5 hours per week
Upon completion, participants receive:
- Certificate of Completion of 65 Hours of Professional Development
- Turn-Key Translation and Interpretation Curriculum Units: Intro to T&I, Criminal Justice, and Healthcare Interpreting – complete with all lesson plans and materials
The University of Arizona National Center for Interpretation is looking for schools and school districts that are serious about improving the academic outcomes of their Latino students, and are interested in participating in our current project, Preparación Online. We have developed curricula and teacher in-service training that has demonstrated a transformative ability to rapidly increase Latino students’
- Academic engagement and interest in education.
- Academic performance.
- Composition proficiency.
- Reading comprehension.
- Critical thinking.
- Retention and completion rates.
Preparación Online is the latest in a series of four projects carried out by the University of Arizona National Center for Interpretation designed to improve academic outcomes for Latino students at the secondary and post-secondary levels through the use of translation and interpretation training in the classroom (click on the menu bar above to learn more about each project):
- Professional Language Development Project —a summer institute for high school students.
- The Arizona Initiative for Latino Academic Success —one of the nation’s few undergraduate programs in translation and interpretation.
- Preparación —teacher in-service training and turn-key curriculum for use in middle school, high school, and post-secondary Spanish and ESL classrooms
- Preparación Online —Online teacher in-service reaching out to schools nationally.
What these projects have in common is relevant, cognitively challenging curricula that inspire students to tap into their language and culture, empowering them to excel academically, and enable them to pursue postsecondary education.
NPR’s Morning Edition recently (Feb 1, 2008) captured the excitement the Preparación T&I curriculum generates in both students and teachers alike and students’ newfound academic engagement and aspirations towards higher education.
These projects have been primarily funded through grants awarded by the U.S. Department of Education’s Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education (FIPSE). Additional support has been provided by Mrs. Agnese Haury and the Haury Trust, as well as the University of Arizona.