The deadline to apply for the 2022 CITI is May 23!
About the CITI
The CITI is an intensive professional development program for Spanish/English legal interpreters. Interpretation is both an art and a science, requiring very specialized training. Our federally certified and highly experienced instructors, combined with our extensive curriculum, offer a level of quality not easily matched. The CITI is committed to providing students with individual attention. The CITI program is also an ideal way to prepare for both the written and oral portions of the State or Federal Court Interpreter Certification Examination (FCICE).
In 2022, the CITI will be offered as a fully online program for the third year running, combining asynchronous and synchronous instruction to maximize its impact. It will begin with a series of webinars in June (about 10-15 hours/week of work) followed by two weeks of intensive, online instruction from July 4-15 (about 30-40 hours/week). See below for more details about the CITI time commitment and to review a sample schedule.
The 2022 CITI will provide 120 total hours of specialized interpreter training.
Objectives of the CITI
- To provide maximum time-on-task to increase the benefit gained from practice sessions and critiques with instructors.
- Comprehensive diagnostic testing is performed at the start and end of each institute, to give you a detailed analysis of how your language and interpreting skills have improved during the institute.
June 1-8, 2022: CITI Orientation and Diagnostic Pre-Testing
June 9-July 30, 2022: A series of live webinars taught by highly experienced federally certified court interpreters to introduce techniques and terminology, coupled with online interpreting exercises and extensive peer review. In addition, a series of pre-recorded lectures coupled with live Q&A sessions will be held (approximately 10-15 hours/week).
July 4-15, 2022: Intensive instruction and interpreting practice with instructors and fellow students on simultaneous and consecutive interpreting and sight translation techniques and strategies (approximately 30-40 hours/week)
The online 2022 CITI runs June 1 - July 15. In June, it's about 10-15 hours/week. There is a synchronous introductory meeting on June 1, 5-7pm Pacific Time. Between June 2-8, there will be a couple of options for taking the diagnostic pre-test in the evening. There are webinars scheduled for Thursdays 5-8pm Pacific Time and Saturdays 10am-1pm. Those are live, but they are recorded so you can catch up in case you have to miss one. There is also about 4 hours/week of online exercises that students complete on their own schedule. Toward the end of June, the amount of online work will increase, but you'll still be able to address it as your schedule permits. From July 4-15, CITI gets much more intensive, requiring about 30-40 hours/week of work. M-F, you should expect to be online most of the day (with scheduled breaks) for live work, which will be combined with additional online work to be completed on your schedule. The lab work you'll do during this time will not be recorded; you need to attend it live.
The technical requirements to participate in the online CITI are relatively modest. They include:
Desktop or laptop with video capability or webcam
Good internet connection
Headset/ear buds that include a microphone (do not rely on built-in mic and speakers!)
A device to record audio (your phone works just fine)
Lecture topics run the gamut of areas essential to working interpreters, including:
- Legal Procedure
- Ethics & Protocol
- Memory Development Techniques
- Note-Taking Skills
- ...and more
arizona wioa funding
- Arizona residents may be eligible for funding through the federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). Learn more by contacting your local Arizona One-Stop Service Center. Residents of other states may also inquire at their local One-Stop Service Center to see if they are eligible in their state.
Applicants must provide the following three documents to ensure that they possess a sufficient level of bilingualism and interpreting/translating experience to benefit from the CITI:
Letter of Interest
Letter of Recommendation
Online application is fast, secure and convenient with our online ordering system. NCI can receive payment only by credit card, debit card, or pre-paid cards. Checks or cash are not accepted.
- NCI will verify your eligibility for the CITI.
- You will receive an acceptance letter and your acceptance packet, which contains information about required materials and more details about the program.
- Upon receipt of your acceptance letter, you will have to pay a non-refundable deposit of $295 as soon as possible towards your tuition to reserve your seat.
Application and Tuition Costs
- Application Fee: $50
- CITI Tuition: $2595 (including $295 deposit)
Deadline to apply to the CITI: May 23, 2022
Deadline to pay CITI deposit: ASAP upon acceptance
Deadline to pay CITI tuition balance: May 26, 2022
CITI program starts: June 1, 2022