Due to the coronavirus crisis, the 2020 Court Interpreter Training Institute will be held fully online. We are dedicated to continuing to provide the highest quality interpreter training.
About the CITI
The CITI is an intensive professional development program for Spanish/English legal interpreters. Interpretation is both an art and a science, requiring very specialized training. Our federally certified and highly experienced instructors, combined with our extensive curriculum, offer a level of quality not easily matched. The CITI is committed to providing students with individual attention. The CITI program is also an ideal way to prepare for both the written and oral portions of the State or Federal Court Interpreter Certification Examination (FCICE).
In 2020, the CITI will be offered as a fully online program, combining asynchronous and synchronous instruction to maximize its impact. It will begin with a series of webinars in June (about 10 hours/week of work) followed by two weeks of intensive, online instruction from July 6-1 (about 40 hours/week). The 2020 CITI will provide 120 total hours of specialized interpreter training.
Objective of the CITI
- To provide maximum time-on-task to increase the benefit gained from practice sessions and critiques with faculty members.
- Comprehensive diagnostic testing is performed at the start and end of each institute, to give you a detailed analysis of how your language and interpreting skills have improved during the institute.
June 1-5, 2020: CITI Orientation and Diagnostic Pre-Testing
June 6-July 2: A series of live webinars taught by highly experienced federally certified court interpreters to introduce techniques and terminology, coupled with online interpreting exercises and extensive peer review (approximately 10 hours/week).
July 6-17: Intensive instruction and interpreting practice with instructors and fellow students on simultaneous and consecutive interpreting and sight translation techniques and strategies (approximately 40 hours/week)
The technical requirements to participate in the online CITI are relatively modest. They include:
Desktop or laptop with video capability or webcam
Good internet connection
Headset/ear buds that include a microphone (do not rely on built-in mic and speakers!)
A device to record audio (your phone works just fine)
Lecture topics run the gamut of areas essential to working interpreters, including:
- Legal Procedure
- Ethics & Protocol
- Memory Development Techniques
- Note-Taking Skills
- ...and more
arizona wioa funding
- Arizona residents may be eligible for funding through the federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). Learn more by contacting your local Arizona One-Stop Service Center. Residents of other states may also inquire at their local One-Stop Service Center to see if they are eligible in their state.
university of arizona graduate scholarship
Sponsored by the UA Department of Spanish and Portuguese, this opportunity is new for 2020. One full CITI scholarship is available for a qualified student admitted to one of the graduate programs in the UA Department of Spanish and Portuguese. If you are applying to one of these programs, please indicate on your application your interest in being considered for the CITI tuition scholarship.
Applicants must provide the following three documents to ensure that they possess a sufficient level of bilingualism and interpreting/translating experience to benefit from the CITI:
Letter of Interest
Letter of Recommendation
Online application is fast, secure and convenient with our online ordering system. NCI can receive payment only by credit card, debit card, or pre-paid cards. Checks or cash are not accepted.
- NCI will verify your eligibility for the CITI.
- You will receive an acceptance letter and your acceptance packet, which contains information about required materials and more details about the program.
- Upon receipt of your acceptance letter, you will have 30 days to pay a non-refundable deposit of $295 towards your tuition to reserve your seat.
Application and Tuition Costs
- Application Fee: $50
- CITI Tuition: $2595 (including $295 deposit)
Deadline to apply to the CITI: May 25, 2020
Deadline to pay CITI tuition balance: May 28, 2020
CITI program starts: June 1, 2020