The National Center for Interpretation is pleased to announce a webinar designed for Spanish/English interpreters!
The vast majority of criminal cases in the U.S. are settled by plea agreements rather than jury trials, so it is vital for court interpreters to be familiar with this process.
This webinar covers in detail:
- What guilty pleas and plea agreements are
- Their pros and cons and considerations which defendants must take into account when pleading
- How plea agreements are negotiated
- The procedure which the court and attorneys must follow to ensure the defendant’s constitutional rights are protected
- Types of sentences, sentencing goals, and factors in sentencing
- Current trends in sentencing reform.
In addition to discussing these features of plea agreements and sentencing, participants will have an opportunity to practice interpreting the language used in some of these settings.
This webinar is live and instructor-led. Participants are required to actively participant in the workshop. Through discussions and exercises with the trainer and other participants, you will be better equipped to interpret these proceedings.
This webinar has been approved for CEUs in CA and the ATA. NCI is a pre-approved provider of CEUs for CO, FL, PA, and TN.
Instructor: Carmen Patel, JD, is a practicing judicial interpreter. She holds California court and federal court certifications.